It is important to understand the characteristics of a good BI Expert:
- Good Listener
- Opened to Criticism
- Self Criticize
- Able to Think Again and Again and Again and Again…until Perfect!
- Love numbers and graphs
- Explorer – Explore & Accept New Ideas
- Constantly wanting to help others with BI
- All round business knowledge
- Up to date IT knowledge & willing to keep learning (self-motivated)
- Never comfortable at where you are (knowledge)
- Good communication skills
- Good at maths
- Good at UX design
- Good with colors
- Always putting yourself in someone else’s shoes (both your colleagues and clients)
- Don’t mind revision after revision and revision then revision again.
I’m sure there’s a lot more. If you plan to move in this area, I hope the above will help you develop your characteristics. Having all the above aspects really does need time. It’s all habits and characteristics which is hardest to develop. Believe me, it would be easier learning new technologies than changing your habits. In conclusion BI experts should be well respected and well paid too!!!